ଏହି ପ୍ରସଙ୍ଗଟିକୁ ଓଡ଼ିଆକୁ ଅନୁବାଦ କରିବାକୁ ପଡ଼ିବ ।
ଏହି ପ୍ରସଙ୍ଗଟି ଓଡ଼ିଆ ଭାଷାରେ ଲେଖାଯାଇ ନାହିଁ । ଏହି ଉଇକିପିଡ଼ିଆଟି ଓଡ଼ିଆ ଭାଷାଭାଷୀ ପାଠକମାନଙ୍କ ପାଇଁ ଉଦ୍ଦିଷ୍ଟ । ଅନ୍ୟ ଭାଷାର ଉଇକିପିଡ଼ିଆ ବାବଦରେ ଜାଣିବା ପାଇଁ ଉଇକିପିଡ଼ିଆମାନଙ୍କର ତାଲିକା ଦେଖନ୍ତୁ । ଓଡ଼ିଆରେ ଲେଖିବା ପାଇଁ ସହଯୋଗ ଚାହୁଁଥିଲେ ଏହି ଲିଙ୍କ୍ଟି ଦେଖନ୍ତୁ ।
If you have just labeled this page as needing translation, please add
to the bottom of this section of Pages needing translation into Odia.
|ପ୍ରକାଶନରେ ଅସୁବିଧା: ଅଜଣା ଚିହ୍ନ "୨" ।|
L2: ≈ 250 million (2001)
to ≈ 1.8 billion (2004)
|English alphabet (Latin script)|
କେଉଁଠି ସରକାରୀ ଭାଷା
27 non-sovereign entities
Commonwealth of Nations
Council of Europe
Countries where English is an official or de facto official language, or national language, and is spoken fluently by the majority of the population
Countries where it is an official but not primary language
ଇଂରାଜୀ ଭାଷା ଏକ ପଶ୍ଚିମ ଜର୍ମାନୀୟ ଭାଷା । ଏହା ଇଂଲ୍ୟାଣ୍ଡ୍ ଆରମ୍ଭ ହୋଇ ବର୍ତ୍ତମାନ ସାରା ବିଶ୍ୱରେ ବହୁଳ ମାତ୍ରାରେ ବ୍ୟବହାର ହେଉଛି । ଏହା ଯୁକ୍ତରାଜ୍ୟ, ଯୁକ୍ତରାଷ୍ଟ୍ର ଆମେରିକା, କ୍ୟାନାଡା, ଅସ୍ଟ୍ରେଲିଆ, ଆୟର୍ଲ୍ୟାଣ୍ଡ୍, ନିଉଜିଲ୍ୟାଣ୍ଡ୍ ଓ ଅନେକ କ୍ୟାରିବିଆନ୍ ରାଷ୍ଟ୍ର ସମେତ ଆହୁରି ଅନେକ ରାଷ୍ଟ୍ରରେ ପ୍ରଥମ ଭାଷା ରୂପେ ବ୍ୟବହାର କରାଯାଇଥାଏ ।
|Country||Total||Percent of population||First language||As an additional language||Population||Comment|
|ଯୁକ୍ତରାଷ୍ଟ୍ର ଆମେରିକା||୨୫୧,୩୮୮,୩୦୧||୯୬%||୨୧୫,୪୨୩,୫୫୭||୩୫,୯୬୪,୭୪୪||୨୬୨,୩୭୫,୧୫୨||Source: US Census 2000: Language Use and English-Speaking Ability: 2000, Table 1. Figure for second language speakers are respondents who reported they do not speak English at home but know it "very well" or "well". Note: figures are for population age 5 and older|
|ଭାରତ||୧୨୫,୩୪୪,୭୩୫||୧୨%||୨୨୬,୪୪୯||୮୬,୧୨୫,୨୨୧ second language speakers.
୩୮,୯୯୩,୦୬୬ third language speakers
|୧,୦୨୮,୭୩୭,୪୩୬||Figures include both those who speak English as a second language and those who speak it as a third language. 2001 figures. The figures include English speakers, but not English users.|
|ପାକିସ୍ତାନ||୮୮,୬୯୦,୦୦୦||୪୯%||୮୮,୬୯୦,୦୦୦||୧୮୦,୪୪୦,୦୦୫||Source: Euromonitor International report 2009. "The Benefits of the English Language for Individuals and Societies: Quantitative Indicators from Cameroon,Nigeria, Rwanda, Bangladesh and Pakistan." 'A custom report compiled by Euromonitor International for the British Council'.|
|ନାଇଜେରିଆ||୭୯,୦୦୦,୦୦୦||୫୩%||୪,୦୦୦,୦୦୦||>୭୫,୦୦୦,୦୦୦||୧୪୮,୦୦୦,୦୦୦||Figures are for speakers of Nigerian Pidgin, an English-based pidgin or creole. Ihemere gives a range of roughly 3 to 5 million native speakers; the midpoint of the range is used in the table. Ihemere, Kelechukwu Uchechukwu. 2006. "A Basic Description and Analytic Treatment of Noun Clauses in Nigerian Pidgin." Nordic Journal of African Studies 15(3): 296–313.|
|ଯୁକ୍ତରାଜ୍ୟ||୫୯,୬୦୦,୦୦୦||୯୮%||୫୮,୧୦୦,୦୦୦||୧,୫୦୦,୦୦୦||୬୦,୦୦୦,୦୦୦||Source: Crystal (2005), p. 109.|
|ଫିଲିପାଇନ୍ସ||୪୮,୮୦୦,୦୦୦||୫୮%||୩,୪୨୭,୦୦୦||୪୩,୯୭୪,୦୦୦||୮୪,୫୬୬,୦୦୦||Total speakers: Census 2000, text above Figure 7. 63.71% of the 66.7 million people aged 5 years or more could speak English. Native speakers: Census 1995, as quoted by Andrew González in The Language Planning Situation in the Philippines, Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development, 19 (5&6), 487–525. (1998). Ethnologue lists 3.4 million native speakers with 52% of the population speaking it as an additional language.|
|କାନାଡ଼ା||୨୫,୨୪୬,୨୨୦||୮୫%||୧୭,୬୯୪,୮୩୦||୭,୫୫୧,୩୯୦||୨୯,୬୩୯,୦୩୦||Source: 2001 Census – Knowledge of Official Languages and Mother Tongue. The native speakers figure comprises 122,660 people with both French and English as a mother tongue, plus 17,572,170 people with English and not French as a mother tongue.|
|ଅଷ୍ଟ୍ରେଲିଆ||୧୮,୧୭୨,୯୮୯||୯୨%||୧୫,୫୮୧,୩୨୯||୨,୫୯୧,୬୬୦||୧୯,୮୫୫,୨୮୮||Source: 2006 Census. The figure shown in the first language English speakers column is actually the number of Australian residents who speak only English at home. The additional language column shows the number of other residents who claim to speak English "well" or "very well". Another 5% of residents did not state their home language or English proficiency.|
|ନ୍ୟୁଜିଲାଣ୍ଡ||୩,୬୭୩,୬୨୬||୯୧.୨%||୩,୦୦୮,୦୫୮||୬୬୫,୫୬୮||୪,୦୨୭,୯୪୭||Source: 2006 Census. The figures are people who can speak English with sufficient fluency to hold an everyday conversation. The figure shown in the first language English speakers column is actually the number of New Zealand residents who reported to speak English only, while the additional language column shows the number of New Zealand residents who reported to speak English as one of two or more languages.|
|Note: Total = First language + Other language; Percentage = Total / Population|
- English Adjective – Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary – Oxford University Press ©2010.
- The Triumph of English, The Economist, 20 December 2001
- "Lecture 7: World-Wide English". EHistLing. Retrieved 26 March 2007.
- seth mydans (14 may 2007)"across cultures english is a word" New York Times . Retrieved 21 September 2011
- Table C-17: Population by Bilingualism and trilingualism, 2001 Census of India 
- Tropf, Herbert S. 2004. India and its Languages[dead link]. Siemens AG, Munich
- For the distinction between "English Speakers" and "English Users", see: TESOL-India (Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages). Their article explains the difference between the 350 million number mentioned in a previous version of this Wikipedia article and a more plausible 90 million number:
Wikipedia's India estimate of 350 million includes two categories – "English Speakers" and "English Users". The distinction between the Speakers and Users is that Users only know how to read English words while Speakers know how to read English, understand spoken English as well as form their own sentences to converse in English. The distinction becomes clear when you consider the China numbers. China has over 200~350 million users that can read English words but, as anyone can see on the streets of China, only handful of million who are English speakers.
- "Ethnologue report for Philippines". Ethnologue.com. Retrieved 2 January 2010.
- "Australian Bureau of Statistics". Censusdata.abs.gov.au. Retrieved 21 April 2010.
- "2006 Census Data - QuickStats About Culture and Identity - Tables". Statistics New Zealand. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- ଉଇକିମିଡ଼ିଆ କମନ୍ସରେ ଇଂରାଜୀ ଭାଷା-ସମ୍ପର୍କିତ ମିଡ଼ିଆ
- Accents of English from Around the World (University of Edinburgh) Hear and compare how the same 110 words are pronounced in 50 English accents from around the world – instantaneous playback online